:)

Monday, October 17, 2005

My first day!

DAY 1

MY Industrial Training (IT) is in Cyberjaya itself, at P2I Online. It's a US based company with a workforce of about 60 plus people. We are known as P2I KL, the Malaysian branch of this international company.

Today, work started at 9am. All the trainees, 11 of us, were placed in a room, something like a conference room. I had the feeling that the make-shift conference-looking room was going to be the 'office' for the 11 of us, for the next 15 weeks. Well, it is so. Good news is, each of us will be getting our own personal pcs, shipped in all the way from the US. And, I can just imagine the scenario of our 'office'; 11 pcs all side by side, somewhat like a cybercafe, with 11 people in it, in a tiny place. But it looks pretty decent to me:)

The thing is, we might have to work shifts. The 2 slots offered for trainees are the 9am-6pm and the 11am-8pm shifts. So, not all 11 will be in the 'office' at the same time. I kinda feel segregated from the rest of the company. The permanent workers are in another part of the building, just beside our 'office'. They each have a cubicle.

Basically, we sat for an hour till someone came and attended to us. We didn't really know each other much, but the small talk kinda broke the ice for most of us. Now I'm really motivated to learn up mandarin. All the chinese trainees were conversing in mandarin. I had to pick up bits and pieces here and there.

For today, there were only 5 available pcs. We were given a short briefig about what the company does and some of the rules and regulations of the company. After that, we were left alone again. Then in came one of the Team Leader who pride himself with wanting to 'make our life miserable'. But he was just the opposite:P He gave a briefing of what was to be done...something like a crash course. And told us to go off for lunch. We were all hungry and talking about lunch way before lunch time. hehe. Guess this will be a typical scenario.

Like most owrking people in Cyberjaya, we found ourselves having lunch at the bus-station...also known as the 'terminal', as I just found out. Anyways, 10 of us trainees ate together. I bumped into a few other trainees from other companies. It was a weird sight.

After lunch, we were left alone again....for a long time. I had time to surf and chat till I was bored. And when I was on the verge of sleeping, in came out Team Leader and he carried on with the other part of our work. By then ,I was dozing off. Everything seems to be a blur. On a normal day, I would probably skip class to go sleep. But I can't skip work. So there I was, in and out of reality for a bit. We had a countdown from 4pm. Work ended at 6. While we waited, a guy came to the company's lobby and started unloading boxes upon boxes of Dell Pcs. I saw, 'Box 1 of 11'. There were 11 new pcs shipped in all the way from Bethlehem, USA to Cyberjaya, Selangor. I hope that those 11 new pcs are for each one of us:)

Again we were left alone. Doing nothing. At 5, the TL came in again and talk some more. I was eyeing the clock till it was 6pm. Felt like a skool kid again, waiting at the door, ready to rush out of class....just for that moment when the bell rang.

Pros and cons of this company:

Pros:
-Starts late, at 9am.Sometimes, 11am. Therefore, can sleep in a but more and have breakfast before work.
-10 mins drive from home.
-5 days a week.
-A decent allowance.
-Friends I know working with me
-Flexible lunch time.
-Easy work.
-Own personal pc.

Cons:
-Work full 15 weeks. Will have 3 days of rest before I enter 3rd trimester, while some have 3 weeks off....nearly a month of holidays before they start classes.
-My off days are during mid-week. Therefore, while the majority of the world is having weekends to rest....I'll be working. So I can't chill out with the rest of my friends. and that sucks.
-In a month, I only get one weekend off, due to the rotating shift system. This will allow me to church only once a month:( and this sucks even more:( The timing is such that I can rush to church but still not make it back for work:( or work will end too late. It sucks not being able to go to church:(( Suddenly, I feel my right to go to church has been taken from me!


That's about it for now. Been jogging the past 2 days. Gotta build up my stamina:)
Tomorrow is a brand new day:)
Enjoys!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're a working man!!!
saham sudah naik!
hope you're having a good time at work!(man, saying that feels weird)

weeliem said...

geraldine: yayy! i guess so. it's pretty an easy task comepared to some of the otehr companies my friends got. but who knows what lie ahead:)
see u soon!

Anonymous said...

hope all's going well with ya! hope to see you soon. *hugz*

-celine-

Anonymous said...

Cool 1st day brother! I know you'll b able to adjust to the company pretty soon... we engineering grads should b felxible... too bad about the church part but look at the bright side... it's just 3 months. I must admit I missed church too when I was training in Penang. Take courage and continue to grow from strength to strength. God BLess!

Daniel Ee.

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog, i really like it. I also have a site about green day clarinet sheet music
. If you are interested, please visit it here: green day clarinet sheet music

Unka Chan said...

Man...you write as though your blog is your FYP report. Pros and cons. LOL

EstheR said...

i miss u!*HUGZ* haven't even settled down yet. i'm currently putting up at frens aunts place in gurney park. YUpes 10 secs away from gurney plaza..we jsut walk across...dat's the boulevard.. but it's far from my workplace. i'll be coming back sat morning but goin off to taiwan for a week... hopefully i get to see u guys b4 i go back pg again.. work okla.. like 10 hours of lab session*UEK*...miss u guyss leh.. take care ya.. keep in touch! pray for me..still looking for a plce..

deric lim said...

hey..weeliem...is this the only place for me to write crap???u dun have a chat box ar???
anyway....anyway i tink ur intership...actually has nothing to do with engineering....wasted all ur money come to uni =) haha... keep up ur "data processing"