:)

Thursday, April 20, 2006

What's been going on

This is going to be a very long entry.
Hopefully, characterising the events would help.

On Final Year Project (19th April ):
My Final Year Project (FYP) is DONE!!! D-O-N-E! Only thing left, the presentation. What a huge relief to finally get it done and over with. After all these weeks. And for the past few nites of no decent sleep. Just as if a huge burden lifted up. Somehow, after talking to my superviser, he gave me the impression that FYP is such a small thing in the university context. It's as if FYP is for kids. I quote him, " FYP only what!? Don't expect us to read everything. Most important is your Abstract, Introduction, and Conclusion. If you're a masters student, then maybe they will read everything." I can't really blame him. Imagine writing a 100-page thesis. Imagine 600+ engineering students writing each a 100-paged thesis. Imagine 40+ lecturers trying to go through every single one of them. If I were them, I'd just read the important parts. For the overall project, I really gave my best. But I got a feeling I messed up by Background Theory. Can't seem to explain properly the concept of the whole thing. This FYP has brought me alot closer to a few people. Some of them I've only seen but never known before. Some, getting to know them better. It's all teamwork and personal effort. It's really a truly enriching experience. Now that the FYP is out of the way, it means I've got slightly less than a month before I sit for my final exams...and hopefully...graduate. For many of the final year students, once they handed up their FYP, it felt as if exams were over. No mood to study for final exams. Well, that's about as much I can say about me getting over the FYP period:p

On UNITE 2006 ( 14th April ):
The highlight for me was being able to take loads of pictures with all the beautiful people dressed up for the night. I didn't really bother what was going on stage. Just going from table to table to see who I know and taking pictures with them. Everybody put in so much effort to look great:) There were some that I couldn't even recognise at first. They look extraordinarily stunning than when I see them in class. On normal days, we usually look plain and ordinary. At UNITE, it was...just an explosion of colors. The girls were looking all hot, and the guys like hunks...not all, but most. Pictures do speak a thousand words. So, see for yourself:p (come find me). Anyways, Amplify had the chance to play for UNITE. We went for the audition and we got chosen. We prepared 8 songs, but when the time came, it was cut down to only 2! Only did Ever The Same by Rob Thomas and one Chinese song that till now I don't know the title. Chee Meng sang it. Our slot was right before the VIP entrance. So the committees kept us waiting and when we did start playing, they rushed us.... *sigh* But not many were listening to us anyways. I felt bad for Esther and Nicky. Joshua invited them to perform with us. So they prepraed 1 nice song. And when it was their turn to come up, we were asked to end. So all that practice...and no one saw. I really anticipated to have the stage to ourselves for a bit, even if no one was paying attention. Never expected us to be people just filling up slots to pass time. *double sigh*. My overall impression of UNITE : sucks! But I shall spare you details. You can read the forum about all the people's complains. Just 24-hours after UNITE, the forum reached 9 pages. So that kinda says how intense were the people's displeasure with UNITE. But I did play my part in organising a 'rombongan' to go there. Read the 2 previous posts.

On Amplify and the auditions for MMU Melaka's Battle of the Bands (16th April):
We DIDN'T make it!! *crushed* Whatever I felt then, I felt it again.
We were ready. We were hoping.We put up a good show. We gave our best....but it wasn't....good....enough.... Out of 40++ bands that participated, only 12 would be selected. 9 from Melaka Campus and 3 from Cyber Campus. Since our first auditioned which we really sucked and failed, we've really been improving and working on our weakness all these while. Took us a while to get back on our feet again. After the auditions, most of us had industrial training and we kinda like..'disbanded' for a bit, since everyone was every else. But since the 3rd semester, we got back and put in alot of effort to get it running again. WE got more serious with our music. We took up challenges in this semester itself. And for a time, we made progress. Our first big thing after the failed auditions, was Carrer Fair Live Concert. Then it was Career Fair Carnival. After that, we were invited to perform for MMUSIC Unplugged III. All these were side issues. Our main goal after AudioWarfare's failed auditions was Melaka's Battle of the Bands auditions. That was our target. But along the way to getting there, some of the mentioned opportunities came our way and we seized it. Our latest progress, just a couple of days before the audition was UNITE, which we managed to get a slot to play for. But sadly, we missed our main goal. It's a personal failure for me. My dream was to participate in a band competition in university at least once before I graduated. I failed. Both times. After the audition, we thought we could make it. It sounded promising. We stood a high chance.Next day when I heard the results...it took a while for the news to sink in. When it did, I wasn't ok. The usual barrage of 'why's streamed through my head. All the questions came to mind. Why this? Why that? Did we lack this or that? It was endless. My confidence and hope kinda dissolved. After all this while, we came so far just to fall short of our goal by a matter of a few placings? I just don't undertand. How is it that some people achieve success with their first try? And some takes ages to pass the first barrier? Did we screw up? What is it we lacked? What was missing that could have given us the edge over the rest? The agony of defeat is so real. Till now, I'm still trying to pick the pieces up. Trying to deal with the issues in my head. It's just too painful at times. I know some try to sympathize. But it's just not that simple. You don't know, do you? I wish I could take 'It's ok' as an answer. But I can't. *frustrated*

No comments: