:)

Saturday, December 11, 2004

Gateway Youth Camp 2004

So fast, and it's already mid-way through the trimester holidays. So many things been buzzing by, that I can hardly take it all in. I just got back from my youth camp, bout 2 days ago...ok, make that 3 days ago...and tomorrow I'll have to buzz off to KL already. It's my family holiday:) KL, then Ipoh, then back to KL again, then Melaka. At times like these, I wish MMU had months and months of holidays. Coz rite now, I'm just cramming my holidays as much as I can:p Not much of resting and reflecting.

H'anyways, something about my youth camp:

I didn't even know my annual youth camp was coming up. When my mum told me about it, I was way past the due date. But, just for kicks, I decided to go. Had to pay the late regis-crap stuff also.

A bit of history pertaining to youth camps: I've been attending my church's youth camp since I was in form 1, back in 1996. And I've faithfully attended every single camp except last years. That makes 7 camps in all. I've seen changes taking place...people come and go...and whatever that needs notice of. I've also seen the seniors in the youth grow up together and get married and have kids. I've seen the juniors who were lil' kids like this high ( knee-level ), grow up to teenage punks who love God. I feel old already:P So many changes, and still I have a heart for the youth in Melaka. Somehow, after all the hype here in KL and the excitement here in Acts Church, I still have a certain sense that I need to go back to Melaka someday and do something in the youth fellowships here.

This camp, I was one of the oldest dudes there. There were about 40+ campers, with 30+ guys and 10 girls. More than half of the campers were under the age of 15. That kinda reflects the age margin with the 'kids' and me:P Thankfully, I had my own 'gang' to keep me company. We were the remnants of the 'oldies' of the youth group. Most of us are in uni now, but somehow, we were at camp, more of helpers instead of participators. I helped out most of the time. And other than that, we-the 'oldies'- hung out. I also had the privilege of meeting the younger ones. My roomate was this 12 year old kid. Eventhough the age gap is so big, we still bonded quite well. That means to say, I can get along well with kids, or it could simply mean that I haven't grown up yet:P

In most camps, I've been the organizing committee or something like that, which requires me to run here and there and do this and that. Not this camp! This time, I just relaxed like any other camper. No meetings and meet-ups. Just me and the rest of the 'gang'. Quite relaxing in a way. Made me miss those few early years of camp, before I got involved organizing it. What's sentimental about this camp is the campsite. It was in Seminary Teoloji Malaysia (STM) in Seremban. 5 years ago, in 1999, We had our youth camp at this same place, with the Rev. Pastor Christopher Long as our camp speaker. 5 years in the present, we're here again, with Pastor Kelvin Sim as out speaker. He's currently based in Johor, but was formerly from Melaka. The place brings back lots of memories. *sweet*. The camp layout is pretty unique. And this time round, there were 3 camps going on simultaneously. One camp was some Bible Discovery camp by Scripture Union. Another camp was the School-Leavers camp, by SUFES and the 3rd camp was my very own youth camp. Boy, was it crowded! Not to forget, of all places to bump into, I bumped in Annette and Uncle Vincent Pee there. Apparently they were their camp facilitators. Nice to see them:) According to Annette, the School-Leavers camp had bout 30 girls and only 13 guys...the direct opposite ratio of my camp. Sighz. sad! If only they had a 'camp-exchange' program, that would just be so awesome. Unfortunately for me and my buds, we had to 'check-out' God's beautiful creations of the other camp during meal times; all meals were more or less synchronised at the same time and the same place. Pathetic!

H'anyways, the crappy thing I missed coz I was on the phone was the games on the 1st day:p Those jokers had some crazy idea of using tofu, ( yes yes, the white stuff we eat whenever we go for Yong Tau Fu ) as a substitute to flour and eggs. Halfway through the game, war broke loose, and white tofu was flying everywhere. 100+ tofus were strewn all over the floor and miserably obliterated to a substance close to dust, more like goo. I came in time only to see the mess and I helped clean it up. Pros: I was clean while my buds were messed up with that white crap. Cons: I missed the fun of wasting tofu to bits. Tofu's are not as harmless as you think. They're a lot harder to clean up and will turn a blackish shade of yellow if left overnite in the drain.

see for youself:p

Besides chilling with my buds, the entertainment for camp was a babies. There were a few babies at camp, but this one's the cutest. At times like this, I wish I had kids, ( that definitely don't need cleaning up and feeding:p). Just couldn't resist posting his cute pic up. Look at him, and tell me if you could resist playing with that lil' guy;)


This is the product of seniors in the youth fellowship getting married:) When I met this kid's parents, they just finished schooling. I was a kid myself then. Now look at him! Look at me! I feel old:P Wonder when's my kids gonna come;)

This is the pic of another kid...also a product of another married couple, formerly from my youth group. *chemistry*

This year's camp had a peculiar theme compared to most years:

God manage to get His message across to me. And I knew I wasn't at this camp by accident. I was there fore a reason. Something God wanted me to listen and learn. I was hungry to meet God, and He came. I am hungry for the Word. And I'm watchig the tides rise...preparing to plunge in and swim. God take me deeper! There's got to be more than this!
The details of my encounter will be kept for some other time. But God did come and meet me. And I'm learning to see the mistakes that I've made and the steps I need to take. There's more to this live that I have to live. God's not done with me yet.


me and my 12 year old room-mate. the kid in me lives on!



some of the kids and me:) I feel my youth group has so much potential just waiting to explode!


me and some of the oldies. hope our legacy lives on!









my hand at photography...with the limited camera I have.

A journey with my family begins tommorrow. I shall not keep them waiting with my lack of sleep. To KL, Ipoh and beyond!







No comments: