:)

Sunday, December 04, 2005

National Conference 2005 - PuduRaya

I call this 'bus stop' - PuduRaya. ( I heard a small wave of laughter. Maybe they thought I was pulling off another stunt )

It's such an unbiblical name, but somehow this word was impressed on my heart as I searched within me for a name to call this place of spiritual renewal. As the name came to mind, the reason for it followed soon after.

I came to this conference, looking for directions. It's not long before I graduate, and the question of where do I start my working carreer has been brewing. I always told myself to return to my roots-Melaka. I've seen so many of my seniors leave Melaka, never to return, settling down in the major cities around. Only a few faithful have returned to rebuild of what's left. Maybe God called the others elsewhere. But I always had this impression to return back.

The attraction of city life has got a hold of me somehow. I like it here in Cyberjaya/Subang/PJ. I like the current church I'm in, to the point I feel so comfortable, I don't want to leave. I like the entertainment this places have to offer me. And, I'm thinking that maybe I could be an influence in a place like this....maybe.

I wanted to know what God wanted to do in my life. To stay or return. But I got more than I bargained for. As I sat through each session, only a few words spoke to me, in the sea of words that were streaming out. Those few words hit me like bullets. Another option that came my way was to start anew in a small town somewhere, any town smaller than Melaka. The kind of town that raise a question mark in people's mind whenever they are mentioned.

I had wanted to start with a decent job, buy a house, get married and settle down with some kids and have the usual 2 cars kind of family, living in some high class suburbs. Having a decent...if not luxuries form of lifestyle. But I was challenged to give that up. I don't really know how to put it. I guess some people are called to the cities, some are called to smaller towns, and some to the villages, and some to the rest of the world. But for me, it's anywhere that God calls me to. The catch is, I shouldn't get too attached to the lifestyle I'm living. Or more accurate, worldly wealth. It's alrite if God blesses me with material things, but I shouldn't get too attacehd to it. The Lord gives and the Lord takes away.

Back to PuduRaya. I see this particular Bus Terminal in the heart of KL as a center point for all travellers. People going in and out all the time. People who represent Malaysia. People who do not know God. And compared to KLIA or KL Sentral, PuduRaya is one shabby, dirty looking, run down place. It speaks to me of a different kind of lifestyle that I want to live. The personal question was whether I was willing to give up the luxuries of KLIA and KL Sentral for a place like PuduRaya. It was a reminder that places like this need Jesus too.

It scares me to think of giving it all up. But the Bible speaks of not going after earthly treasure where moth and rust destroy, but storing heavenly riches. And people like Dr Thomas Chung and Dr Loh Kim Cheng, and even Ps. Kenneth have showed an example to me; Giving up their professional careers to serve God. They are my heroes.

And I'm still thinking and waiting........

4 comments:

JC said...

maybe they didn't expect you to say 'pudu raya'!

as long as it means something to you, that's all that matters :)

Anonymous said...

i didn't really have a name for my bus stop...oh well. :D cheers for the name though. ;)

-celine-

Anonymous said...

Pray for God to open the door of his will and shut down all the unwanted doors. Will pray for ya too. Heard NC was great!~ ;)

Anonymous said...

hey! somewhat stumbled upon ur blog :)

persevere on as you be an en.ZYMer for GOd!

jaime :P