:)

Friday, January 23, 2004

nostalgia : walking down memory lane

Whoopeeee! Gong Xi Fa Cai!! the time has come.....Chinese New Year is here......woke up and got dressed...tried to dress the best i could....new year....new beginning...better get it rite:p some people say Chinese people are lucky....coz, if they have 2 chances to start a new....New Year's and Chinese New Year's.

so then, after all the dressing up....me and my sisters got ready to meet our parents. went downstairs and they were already waiting. so i went first and kneeled before them:) and asked them for forgiveness and asked for their blessings.....a red packet came....together with smiles:) i thank God that my parents are still alive and well and they're here with me to celebrate this beautiful moment. the smiles on their faces were gentle reminders for me to honour them and treasure them while i still have them. this is a small tradidtion we do in my family:) then comes both my sis to kneel....after all is done....off we go!

first stop was my mum's uncle's house.many years ago, while my mum's parents were still alive, the first house we would visit would be my grandpa's house. now...those days are gone....grandpa and grandma are both gone.....life still goes on...and we live on with their memories:| sometimes i wish they were still around.....(feeling darn nostalgic now....y did i have to start?....tears welling up....nuts...the music i'm listening to is adding to the effect-24 by Switchfoot) anyways...it's a merry moment! so here we are at granduncle's house.....almost everyone is there.the atmosphere is merry and we just fellowship and hang around while more and more people stream thru the door:) thank God for relatives....learned abit on how to gamble *hehe* it's an annual event over here. don't gamble though, but i just watch them amuse themselves:) after much eating and updting each other, my family went over to my dad's mother's house. there we had the 2nd round of eating and fellowshipping.....haha....this is the usual routine for the new years day! my relatives from singapore came as well.....too bad my cousins that were studying in Australia didn't make it:( sighz....that's what distance can do....
we stayed on till 5pm then headed home.

this year is a bit different, coz my opposite neighbour invited us over for dinner. so off we went. mien!!! the food rocks!!! my neighbour is also Baba-Nyonya like my family...and the Baba-Nyonya dinner laid before us was just too heavenly to describe here:D i wish i had more space to stomach all the good food, but alas...i was too full, too fast. btw, my neighbour is a grandmother of about 60++ but she's so young at heart and so bubbly all the time. and she speaks English! so it's very easy for me to communicate with her. though i'm not blood related to her, she treats me like a part of her family and i thank God for neighbours like that:) all i can say, she's a hip and happening grandma! while i was there, i watched her grandchildren play......and it reminded me of my own childhood....a walk down memory lane....i'm so grown up now....so fast....anyways....the kids...3 of them, were playing fireworks....and their laughter rang in the house. years ago, when i was a kid....when fireworks were still legal....i'd have so much fun burning my aunts money away with every single 'moon traveller' that i rocketed off.....or every single 'sparkler' i waved in the air...or even...'dragon eggs' that jsut exploded to smitherines.....or not to forget the simple 'pop-pop' that i'd fling at anything and everything. those were my days....now it's time to move on. and i watched as the children's dad joined them in their plight. he was the dude responsible for buying 1 whole boxload of fire-toys for the kids. hehe told me that i could get plenty of those in 'ampang village'...where's that?? but it was fun to see children and dad having a good time this festive season, just bonding and burning up money for the sake of having a good time:p made me feel like being a dad.....not too soon though.....but soon enough:p always felt myself a family man......playing with my kids and being the best dad in the world! alas,the time has not yet come and it's too soon for me to build castles in the cloudless sky...trusting God for my future:) manage to share this passing thought with someone special though. great to hear from you:) *sweet*

ended the day with a good reading from one of the best author of all time:Roald Dahl. his work titled Switch Bitch is an awesome masterpiece of twisted irony....so contrary to all his other works that i have seen.......didn't know that he could have a darker side:P it's a good book though....mind you the title....pretty innocent actually....the bitch did refer to a female dog:p

goodnite world and thank you God for making me see the beauty of life once again!

No comments: